Skip to main navigation.
Twitter Icon Image Facebook Icon Image YouTube Icon Image

Electric Shock Safety

When a human being comes into contact with electricity, the current will try to flow through their body. The current causes different responses, ranging from slight shock to death.

What to do if someone gets severly shocked:
  • Turn off power at the main breaker.
  • Call an ambulance.
  • Don't touch the victim until you are certain there is no live electricity. (NEVER move someone if they are touching a power line or other high-voltage current.)
  • If the victim is not breathing, begin mouth-to-mouth.
  • If the victim has no pulse, begin CPR.

The chart below shows the relationship between the amount of current and the reaction.

1 mA or less Slight tingling sensation
1mA to 5 mA Shock is felt, not painful, individuals can let go
5 mA to 15 mA Painful shock, individual can let go
15 mA to 50 mA painful shock, muscle control loss, individual can not let go
50 mA to 150 mA Extreme pain, respiratory arrest, individual can not let go, death is possible
150 mA to 1000 mA The heart stops for duration of shock. Severe burns and muscle contraction
1000 mA to 4300 mA Ventricular fibrillation
4300 mA + Cardiac arrest, death is probable


Powered by Touchstone Energy Cooperatives Logo
Co-op Connections Cooperative Action Network