Main page Two
DS&O Electric Cooperative, Inc. (“DS&O”) will award four $1,000 scholarships to its members or their dependents pursing higher education in Kansas in 2018. There will be one scholarship awarded for each of the three cooperatives districts and one for a student entering or continuing education at a lineman school.
- Available to current high school seniors and all college students who are dependents of active DS&O members. The scholarships are also available to active DS&O members currently enrolled in college.
- If a member is applying for himself or herself, then such member must be in good standing with the cooperative for at least 12 consecutive months. Good standing is defined as “a member that has paid all bills to the cooperative for which they are legally responsible or liable for the most recent 12 months without having been issued more than two disconnect notices.” This good standing requirement does not apply to dependents of active DS&O members.
- Must currently be a student at or be entering an accredited university, college, or vocational school in Kansas.
- Scholarships are for one year. Applicant may apply as often as desired, but may only receive a DS&O scholarship once.
- DS&O employees and their dependents are not eligible. DS&O directors and their dependents are not eligible.
- Current high school seniors – must register as a full-time student for the upcoming fall semester and provide proof of such in order for DS&O to pay the funds to the school.
- Current college students – must have a transcript showing a minimum of 12 hours of course-work completed to-date.
- Possess a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale or 80% on a 100% scale.
- Applications shall be reviewed without regard to race, color, national origin or handicap.
- Applications shall be reviewed by DS&O personnel for completeness and submitted to a selection committee made of DS&O directors. The committee shall consider each applicant’s need, academic performance, and contributions to the community in ranking the applications.
- Scholarship funds shall be paid directly to the award winners’ school of choice at the beginning of each semester, with $500.00 being paid for the fall semester and $500.00 for the spring semester. Award winners shall be required to provide proof of enrollment.
- The application deadline is March 19, 2018. Applications may be dropped off or mailed to DS&O at the address on this letter. They may also be scanned and emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org (send picture separately). Late applications shall not be considered.
- Award winners shall be announced at the DS&O Annual Meeting on April 3, 2018. The meeting shall be held at the Webster Conference Center north of Salina at 6:00 PM. Scholarship winners are asked to accept their awards in person. If the scholarship winner cannot attend, then DS&O asks to be notified prior to the meeting and for the award winner to specify a proxy to accept the award on the award-winner’s behalf.
- All applicants shall be notified whether they were an award winner.
To Be Considered, Applications Must Contain the Following:
- Completed application form and resume.
- Copy of official transcript.
- Complete biographical statement and one-page essay on the subject matter listed on the application form.
- One “headshot” photograph to be used for publicity