Skip to main navigation.
Twitter Icon Image Facebook Icon Image YouTube Icon Image

Comeback for Energy Tax Credits

Feds revive incentives for efficient home upgrades

     Ready to boost your home’s energy efficiency without breaking the bank? The American Taxpayer Relief Act of 2012 revived energy efficiency tax credits to the tune of $500.

     The credit offsets the cost of upgrades such as super-efficient water heaters and furnaces, boilers, heat pumps, central air conditioners, building insulation, windows, and roofs.

     This marks the third extension of the incentive initiated by the federal Energy Policy Act of 2005. The last round expired in 2011; the new legislation covers 2012 upgrades along with projects undertaken in 2013. If you’ve already received an energy tax credit, you’re out of luck—there’s a lifetime cap of $500.

     Full details on qualifying upgrades and individual caps are at Here are a few ways to lower your electric bill and save at tax time.

Insulating Factors

     Recoup up to 10 percent of the cost of upgrading a home’s envelope. The tax credit is capped at $500 for all improvements; labor costs are not covered. Eligible upgrades are:

  • Insulation materials
  • Systems designed to reduce a home’s heat loss/gain
  • Exterior doors
  • Skylights and windows ($200 maximum for upgrades between 2006-2013)
  • Qualifying metal or asphalt roofs
Heating and Cooling

     Replacing your home’s heating or cooling system? You could qualify for a tax credit ranging from $50 to $500 for units put in place between Jan. 1, 2012, and Dec. 31, 2013. Eligible improvements are:

  • Electric heat pump water heaters with an energy factor of at least 2.0 ($300 cap)
  • Advanced main air circulating fan ($50 cap)
  • Qualifying central air conditioner ($300 cap)
  • Biomass stove (select fuels; $300 cap)
Tax Credit Basics

     Energy tax credits are non-refundable—they can increase your refund by reducing the taxes you owe, dollar for dollar, and can be carried forward to reduce taxes in following years. You don’t get a separate check for the credit amount.

     File for energy tax credits with IRS Form 5695. Be sure to keep a Manufacturer Certification Statement (a signed statement from the manufacturer certifying that the product or component qualifies for the tax credit) for your records. Eligible upgrades must be made to a taxpayer’s primary residence by Dec. 31, 2013.

 Rebate Locator

     Some states offer further subsidies or rebates for efficiency projects. For a complete list of federal, state, and local energy efficiency assistance, visit the Database of State Incentives for Renewables and Efficiency, a project funded by the U.S. Department of Energy, at

Powered by Touchstone Energy Cooperatives Logo
Co-op Connections Kids Energy Zone Cooperative Action Network